The University has a large and growing number of world-class science programs covering a broad spectrum of disciplines including: molecular biology, cellular biology, developmental biology, structural biology, drug discovery and design, immunology, neuroscience, organ and tissue engineering, regenerative medicine, cancer diagnostics and treatment, cardiology, gene therapy, bioinformatics and computational biology, nanoscience, and medical device development.
The research facilities are outstanding, with several buildings devoted to biological and biomedical research. Our newest biomedical science tower is enhancing our capacity to explore frontier areas like genomics and proteomics, neurodegenerative diseases, and vaccine development, and the Life Sciences Annex is providing new facilities for the study of cell and developmental biology.
The University of Pittsburgh has numerous state-of-the-art research centers that provide tools for modern day exploration in molecular biology. These include the Center for Biological Imaging, the NMR Research Center, the Genomics and Proteomics Core Laboratories, the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center, the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, and the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute. Click here for more information.
As part of their training, ISB students apply for fellowships from national granting agencies. Predoctoral fellowships and training opportunities include the following.
- American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowships
- Epilepsy Foundation Grant & Fellowships
- NIH-sponsored National Research Service Award
- National Science Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships
- U.S. Department of Defense: National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship Program
- U.S. Department of Energy Computational Sciences Graduate Fellowships
- ASM Robert D. Watkins Graduate Research Fellowship for Minorities in Microbiology
- American Association of University Women (AAUW): American Fellowships: Dissertation Fellowship
- American Psychological Association (APA) & Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Fellowships
- HHMI International Student Research Fellowships
- NASA Harriet Jenkins Fellowship Program for Under-Represented Groups in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- National Science Foundation Minority Fellowships
- NIH-sponsored F32 Diversity Grants
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
- United Negro College Fund and the Merck Institute for Science Education Research Dissertation Fellowships